Performance Art



       It was really nerve racking having to do a performance art because in our society now people judge you based on the way you act. My friends and I went with a spoof on the show Drake and Josh because one it's a super hilarious show. The part of the show that we did was when Crazy Steve was chasing Josh yelling "You ate my enchilada." and Josh's line was "I thought we settled this." It was a lot of fun to do and it was so much better to do with friends. When I was editing the video I noticed one guy was actually recording us and I was cracking up because I had no idea and now I have to tell my friend JP that happened. I circled this guy in red and there was also a group of three who were also confused about what was going on. I couldn't have imagined doing this on my own being able to actually talk as loud as I did hurt my throat a bit but it was still fun to do. Originally I was going to have JP chase me but he said it would be better if I was the one chasing him because it would look like he was beating me. This also showed how people react if someone is publicly attempting to beat a man especially if the attacker is a woman no one went to stop me or went to defend JP. It kind of makes you wonder what would've happened if we had done what we originally intended to do. 


      One performance I chose was Frozen Grand Central Station because it showed people in the middle of all the hustle and bustle they stopped. The froze exactly like how some people might actually look on a day to day basis. The one performer who froze midway to taking a bite of her breakfast was funny yet it was relatable, another was a group of people stopping and looking at a map together or another guy stopping and tying his shoe. These are all things that happen on a daily basis and the fact that people were freaked out when people weren't moving was hilarious to me because it wasn't like they were frozen doing something crazy it was just something from anyone's daily life. This has in common with Kabuki and Guerrilla Girls because it shows how people react to seeing everyday things shown to them in a strange way which is what Guerrilla Girls do with the use of their Gorilla masks but they bring about important issues. What is to be done in the performance art is that they could do this again and have a message like about climate change they could have people melting and writhing in pain on the floor. 
      Another performance I chose was Kabuki which is Japan's early stage performance. It originally had both men and women acting in it but it became a male oriented performance. This has in common with both of these because it was the earliest version of performance art which would influence other performances like the Frozen Grand Central Station and Guerrilla Girls. Technology is a essential component in their work because they create sounds with other objects and use make up and costumes to show their character. What is to be done in the filed of performance art in my opinion is to maybe bring back the women actresses to this performance. 
       The other performance I chose was Guerrilla Girls because the bring up interesting points about how women aren't being represented in the art museums and galleries. I also like that they are anonymous but still are brining up important things that deal with all women not just in the art world. They bring up the important questions on abortion and other important issues women are facing. This has in common with Kabuki and the Frozen Grand Central Station is that it shows history like how women aren't talked about in art and Kabuki shows historical performances. They also show everyday things that women face like in the Frozen Grand they showed how people made a big deal of people being frozen doing normal everyday things.  What is to be done in the performance art is that for them to maybe do a demonstration of how many male artists are shown and known around the world while many people have a hard time even naming three women artists.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flip Book

Grid Art