Grid Art

I first started by drawing a burning rose motif, and then I forgot to take pictures as I was putting cut up pieces of black construction paper into rectangles. The canvas I got was 18" x 20" but the rectangles I cut were 30 x 30. 
This was my inspiration for creating the burning rose. It's from a show called RWBY (pronounced Ruby).

I then started to add the decorative stones to make it actually look like a rose on fire. 

I alternated between two different shades of red one was a bit darker than the others but you couldn't really tell. I also added some yellow and orange stones to give it the colors you'd see in a flame. 

I then started to cut up black pieces of fabric into squares and put them in between the flames. 

Finished with the black squares!

It didn't quite feel finished to me so I decided to add a few more things.

Finished! I ended up adding more stones on the black squares because it just didn't feel like a rose on fire. I also added the origami butterflies because it makes it seem as if they are fleeing while one is getting licked by the flame. 

For this project when I first heard about it, it sounded like a lot to do 900 of something. In reality once I sat down and started working on this project it was actually a lot of fun. I also liked my concept of the flaming rose because it shows how something beautiful can also turn deadly. I didn't want to use the rose and thorns since I think it's been over done, that's why I went with the burning rose, and used the butterflies to show that even the smallest things can be affected by this. I also did this because from the animation RWBY the character named Ruby's symbol is a flaming rose so for me this doubled as fan art along with expressing how I think something beautiful can easily become dangerous. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flip Book

Performance Art